Planning the Move
Beginning to plan and prepare in advance will help to ease the anxiety of moving. Involving the new resident in choosing a facility and planning the move will make the transition easier.
Items from home are very important to someone moving away from familiar surroundings. A small piece of furniture, their own bedspread, a favorite picture, and family portraits will go a long way in helping the new resident to make the necessary adjustments.
Bring clothing items that are comfortable, washable and appropriate for the climate. Remember to include socks, undergarments, night clothes, and shoes, preferably rubber-soled for safety. Please label clothing with a permanent marker or iron-on labels.
Information Needed for Admission
Be prepared to provide the following information:
- Full, legal name of resident
- Resident's date of birth
- Medicare card
- Medicaid card (if applicable)
- Supplemental insurance information
- Social Security card
- Local attending physician's name
- Preferred dentist
- Responsible party's name, address and telephone number
- Other contact person's name, address and telephone number
- Funeral home name, address and telephone number
- Advance Directives, such as out-of-hospital DNR, living will or power-of-attorney
(If the resident does not already have advance directives, please read this information and consider it.)