Coryell County Memorial Hospital Authority (dba Coryell Memorial Healthcare System) has a long history of serving the residents of Coryell County. The following timeline highlights the major events in our history.
1940 — A petition for an election to decide if the county should build a hospital was circulated then handed to county commissioners.
The vote passed 814 for, 461 against.
1942 — An open house was held for the new Coryell Memorial Hospital at the corner of Lutterloh Avenue and Saunders Street in Gatesville.
1973 — A capital campaign was begun to make necessary improvements for CMH to meet state and federal regulations.
1975 — Coryell County commissioners voted unanimously in favor of creating the Coryell County Memorial Hospital Authority to take over Coryell Memorial Hospital.
Erle Powell, who had led the capital campaign, was formally and unanimously elected president of the board, a position he still holds today.
1976 — Groundbreaking for the site of the new hospital at 1507 West Main Street.
1977 — Dedication of the new 40,400 square foot hospital
1979 — Received a Certificate of Accreditation from the prestigious Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
1984 — Coryell Home Health Care service initiated
1986 — The Welcome Program assisted living began with three patient rooms being re-decorated in a home-like motif for persons seeking private pay personal care
Coryell Memorial Hospital entered into a management pact with Scott & White.
1994 — Mills County Medical Clinic opened in Goldthwaite
1995 — Mills County Home Health service begun
1996 — Massive expansion project including more rooms for the Welcome Program, enlarging the radiology department and medical records, data processing and business offices
The Oaks at Coryell independent living apartments were constructed with first six apartments.
1997 — The Welcome Program was awarded a grant of $750,000 from the Frank W. Mayborn Foundation and was consequently renamed the Eula P. White Welcome Program in honor of Mrs. Mayborn’s mother, Mrs. Eula P. White, who had been a resident in the program.
1999 — Expansion of The Oaks began to add 16 new apartments, a dining area and other accoutrements.
2000 — Construction began on a new 90-bed skilled nursing facility named The Meadows. The state-of-the-art nursing home, which covers 45,000 square feet, has four wings, three nurses’ stations, a chapel, a residential dining room, family dining room, a beauty salon and activity room.
A new central dietary facility was also constructed and named in honor of the late Mrs. Vaughan D. Freeman, who made a bequest of over $900,000 to the hospital, the largest in hospital history at the time.
2001 — The CMH board voted to adopt the name of Coryell Memorial Healthcare System to better represent the expanding continuum of care.
2005 — The emergency room was expanded to more than double its capacity and provide up-to-date equipment. It was renamed the Heavin Emergency Services with a history-making $1,000,000 donation given by Gary and Diane Heavin.
2008 — The Coryell Specialty Clinic opened inside CMHS and hosts independent specialists in a variety of disciplines including Ob/Gyn, podiatry and allergy/asthma.
2009 — The Mills County Medical Clinic moved to a beautiful, newly renovated building at 1510 Hannah Valley Road in Goldthwaite on August 27th.
CMHS took over the Hillcrest Clinic of Gatesville and it became the Coryell Medical Clinic (CMC). CMC now has additional providers to serve the community and plans are in the works of developing a new permanent building on the CMHS campus.
2010 — CMHS partnered with Nocturna Sleep Center of Waco to offer sleep studies at Coryell Memorial Hospital.
2011 — Coryell Medical Clinic moved into its brand new building connected to Coryell Memorial Hospital with space for six family practice providers plus specialists.